You can now read about our CQC rating from the 2018 inspection.
The National Inpatient Centre for Psychological Medicine delivers biopsychosocial holistic care for people with complex medically unexplained symptoms and physical / psychological comorbidities.
The NICPM is an eight bed specialist inpatient unit based at Leeds General Infirmary. It is a unique service which has a history over many years of delivering services within Leeds and West Yorkshire, and since 2009 has been successfully treating patients from across the UK.
Our team specialise in helping people with the following types of problems:
- Severe and complex medically unexplained symptoms and illness
- Psychological difficulties affecting the management of long-term physical health conditions (physical / psychological comorbidities) at a serious level of severity
- Severe chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS/ME) – we provide the inpatient care for the Leeds and West Yorkshire CFS/ME service
Approximately half of our beds are commissioned for Leeds residents and half for people from across the UK. For Leeds residents we also provide a service for people with mixed physical and psychological difficulties which may be complicated but at a more moderate or lower level of severity.
Our aim is to help people make significant improvements to their health and quality of life. Our clinical outcomes are often very good and patient feedback is very positive as you will see in our annual reports at the end of this page.
We are proud of our highly experienced team who provide outstanding care. The professionals in our team include:
- Liaison psychiatry doctors
- Occupational therapists
- Cognitive behavioural therapists
We have a very experienced and expert team who, between them, have a broad range of specialist training, including in general/physical medicine, mental health, physical, occupational, and cognitive behavioural therapies.
We can also draw on expertise from other teams including:
- Medical and surgical teams within the general hospital system, across the full range of specialties
- Psychosexual and relationship therapists
What to expect
The visiting times on the unit are 2pm to 4pm and 6pm to 8pm. You can download and view more information for patients, families and carers below:
- Service Information Leaflet
- Pre-admission Information
- Patient Information booklet
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our carer and patient stories and what makes us proud
A few of our carers and former patients have kindly shared about their time with us and their recovery. You can read them all below:
We are acknowledged as the only specialist NHS inpatient unit for people suffering with severe CFS/ME by the British Association for CFS/ME.
We have been named as a national example of how to provide high quality care for people with medically unexplained physical symptoms.
We have also been identified as the only NHS unit delivering integrated mental and physical inpatient treatment for patients with severe and complex medically unexplained physical symptoms in any bodily system.
We are fully compliant with guidance on CFS/ME, IBS, and Multimorbidity as set by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
Our whole team has been presented with the Trust Award for Improving Health and Improving Lives.