Conducting research

Our Research and Development team works with Trust staff and professionals from other organisations to help support their research projects. This page provides more information for those who want to carry out research in the Trust.

All research conducted in the Trust requires approval and further details can be found below. Approvals for other types of projects including service evaluation, service review and clinical audit is managed by the Trust’s Clinical Effectiveness Team.

If you are unsure whether your proposed project is research as defined in the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Research*,  please take a look at the following documents:

There are a range of available resources to help you get started including:

  1. Download the Health Research Authority’s (HRA) Defining Research information leaflet
  2. Use the Health Research Authority’s (HRA) decision tool to understand if your project is considered research
  3. Read the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership’s (HQIP) guide for clinical audit, research and service review

*research is defined as the attempt to derive generalisable or transferable new knowledge to answer or refine relevant questions with scientifically sound methods

If you wish to discuss further, please ring the R&D department on 0113 85 52387.