Changes to our Single Point of Access (SPA)

Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust operates something called a Single Point of Access (SPA).

From 4 March 2019 it will operate in a more clearly defined role of only providing an access point for referrals to our specialist mental health services. Previously this service had also been used for telephone support by people suffering from mental health problems or by their carers seeking advice.

The SPA will no longer be able to directly provide a telephone support line for service users and carers, particularly out of normal office hours. This is something that is being handled by third sector support agencies, contracted by the NHS in Leeds. Anyone who calls the SPA seeking telephone support may be re-directed to one of these support agencies if it’s more appropriate for their needs. However service users and carers can still make referrals to the SPA for people who have previously been under our care.

Where can I go for help?

There are many different support options for people in Leeds who need help with mental health issues.

MindWell website

Our first recommendation would be the MindWell website. This is a single ‘go to’ place for information about mental health in Leeds funded locally by the NHS. The I need help now section can help you find telephone support if you need someone to talk to as well as places you can go in an emotional crisis. It can also help you find support for different issues like bereavement, relationship problems, debt, homelessness and alcohol and drug use.

The website can also give you quick and easy access to:

MindMate website for younger people

MindMate is a Leeds-based website for younger people, their families and the professionals who support them. It covers emotional wellbeing and mental health issues and offers information about where support is available.


The Leeds Crisis Card: “Feel like you’ve had enough?”

This handy card is produced by Leeds City Council’s public health department. You may have already been given a copy of it by one of our staff. A version can be found online at

Leeds Directory – supporting independent living

The Leeds Directory is a source of information on a wide range of services and organisations which can be accessed online or via a friendly telephone help line on 01133918333. There are over 1,800 organisations and services to assist and support people to live independently i.e. home and garden, personal care, befriending, social activities, recommended tradespeople etc. Leeds Directory is funded by Leeds City Council – visit

NHS 111 service

You can call the NHS 111 service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

For less urgent health needs, you should contact your GP or a local pharmacist in the usual way. If a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, continue to use that number. For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, always call 999.

What if I’m already receiving specialist mental health services?

If you’re already receiving specialist mental health services from Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, then you should already have a contact for your Care Co-ordinator or another relevant health professional in the team looking after you. This might be written in your care plan. If you cannot find this or you need urgent help accessing our services, you can call the SPA on 03003001485.

Questions or feedback about our services

If you have questions about our services or feedback you’d like to give us, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service. PALS is a confidential and free service to guide you through the different services available at Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.

Want a print out of this information?

You can download a print-friendly version of this information here.