World Patient Safety Day 2022
World Patient Safety Day is an annual event which aims to raise global awareness about patient safety and call for solidarity and united action by all countries and international partners to reduce patient harm.
Medication harm accounts for 50% of the overall preventable harm in medical care.
Every person around the world will, at some point in their life, take medications to prevent or treat illness. However, medications sometimes cause harm if not taken or used properly, it can lead to poor and worsening health and wellbeing.
Unsafe medication practices and medication errors are a leading cause of avoidable harm in health care across the world. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has significantly exacerbated the risk of medication errors and associated medication-related harm.
It is in this context that ‘Medication Safety’ has been selected as the theme for World Patient Safety Day 2022, with the slogan ‘Medication Without Harm’.
Key messages for staff:
- Keep your skills in safe medication practices up to date
- Engage patients through shared decision-making using tools such as the 5 Moments for Medication Safety and implement actions related to the Know. Check. Ask. campaign
- Provide clear and full medication-related information to all members of the clinical team throughout the process of care
- Report medication safety incidents and near misses via the Datix system so patterns. themes can be identified. Share and apply lessons learned with your team and patients when possible.
- Report all suspected side effects to medication via the yellow card scheme Yellow Card | Making medicines and medical devices safer (mhra.gov.uk)
- Be mindful of situations where the risk from medications is high and ensure safety measures are followed
- Mentor new members of your team on safe medication systems and practices
- Keep up to date with key medication safety messages via our internal intranet. >
- Follow the West Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership for medicines safety information and upcoming campaigns.
For any queries relating to medication safety, please contact: Dawn Fleming (email)
For any queries relating to patient safety, please contact our Patient Safety Team who will be happy to support you.
- Sarah Winkworth, Patient Safety Manager
- Zoe Atack, Patient Safety Manager
- Steve Dawson, Patient Safety Manager
Frankie Hill, Quality and Patient Safety Lead
Cath Wardle, Head of Clinical Governance and Patient Safety